Thursday, November 11, 2010

Holiday Traditions for Moms and Kids

I just got off the phone with my mom, and the question arose: "What do you want for Christmas this year?"  And, so, it begins.. 

Christmas in my family means presents.  LOADS of presents.  So many presents that you can hardly see the tree.. and yes, my brother and sister and I are all grown up and yet it still continues.  This year I'll probably make fairy hoodies for everyone.. but while the gift giving is fun, it's not our very favorite tradition.  

Our favorite tradition is the singing.  My family gets together every year on Christmas eve, and after stuffing ourselves with mom's stuffed mushrooms and angel puff cookies, we sing Christmas Carols.  ALL the Christmas Carols.  Every one we know, and some we don't.  Even the Hallelujah Chorus!  My Aunt (a lifelong music teacher) plays the piano, and the rest of the family manages to hold down a semi-decent 4 part harmony throughout.  

I've been doing this my whole life, and only recently realized how very rare it is - whenever we invite guests to the Christmas Eve party, they always express astonishment and wonder at our singing.  Christmas, for me, is about the music.

I found this article on Posh Tot's blog about creating your own holiday traditions with your family, and it made me wonder.. what fun stuff are all you people doing for your Holiday celebrations this year?  What makes your family's Christmas.. well, Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment