What you'll need:
- Fabric glue
- Pinking shears
- Grosgrain ribbon
- Self-adhesive Velcro dots for attaching at the neck (or just leave the ribbon long and tie it instead)
- Fabric: about 27- x 30 inch piece of knit fabric for each guest (choose colors that fit your specific hero theme: blue and red work great for just about any party, black for Batman, etc.)
- Felt (for the cape logos)
Here are the step-by-step instructions:
- Lay your ribbon 1 1/2 inches from the edge of one of the shorter ends of the fabric.
- Place fabric glue below the ribbon in sections.
- Fold the edge over the ribbon, sealing it to create a "tunnel" for the ribbon.
- Gather the fabric in the middle and add glue at the openings to secure.
- Trim the ribbon to the desired length with pinking shears.
- Add the Velcro dot so that the cape can be fastened around your child's neck (or leave the ribbon longer and just tie it).
And here's the full tutorial from Family Fun Magazine: