Friday, January 6, 2012

Inspiring the Kids

I was at a friend's house the other night for Rock Band Night, and it happened to be their younger son's 5th birthday.  So, of course, I brought some balloons to make him a giant birthday hat, and a little bit of magic just to make him feel special.  I think I managed to delight him.  :)

His older brother, who's almost 8, was even more fascinated by the magic than the birthday boy was.  After I did a couple tricks, he ran into his bedroom and grabbed the magic kit he'd gotten for Christmas, and did a few tricks for me.  I was super impressed.. the kid is a born performer.

He's a talker too.. so much so that there's a rule at their house that when it's bedtime, he can choose the very last thing he wants to say that day, and say it, and after that - no more talking.  :)  As his mom was putting him to bed, he whispered to her that the last thing he wanted to say that day was something he wanted to say to me.

I went into his room where he was sitting in his pajamas, looking not remotely sleepy, and he grinned his irrepressible grin at me and said, "So.  You can do magic.  You make jackets.   You do that thing with the ropes.  You can make balloons.  What ELSE do you do???"

"Well, I eat fire," I told him. 

He nodded, and looked at me expectantly.

"I just basically do whatever I am excited about, I guess," I told him.  "Whatever seems like the most fun, that's what I do."

He grinned at me again, and I added, "You can do that too, you know."  He nodded and smiled, and I wished him good night and tiptoed out of the room, feeling sort of warm and glowy.

I guess I must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment